By law, the Habeas Corpus Resource Center represents only persons sentenced to death in California in cases in which the HCRC has been appointed by a state or federal court. The HCRC is unable to provide representation or offer legal advice to those with non-capital sentences or to death-sentenced individuals to whose cases the HCRC has not been appointed. Those individuals with sentences other than death sentences seeking information about the state and federal habeas corpus processes may find the following resources useful.
Attorneys appointed to represent a California death-row inmate in capital post-conviction proceedings can register for access to the Habeas Corpus Resource Center's online resources. Below are other relevant resources.
- First District Appellate Project
- California Appellate Project - Los Angeles
- Central California Appellate Program
- Appellate Defenders Incorporated
- Sixth District Appellate Program
- Form MC-275 Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus (PDF)
- American Bar Association Death Penalty Representation Project
- California Appellate Project (CAP)
- Bureau of Justice Statistics - Capital Punishment
- Death Penalty Information Center (DPIC)