Cases Without Counsel
The number of capital defendants on California's death row without habeas counsel is at a crisis level.
- Costs of Capital Punishment in California
- Executing the Will of the Voters?
- California Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice Final Report
Private Counsel Appointments
The HCRC assists the California Supreme Court in seeking counsel to take appointments in these rewarding and interesting cases. The following websites and documents provide general information regarding capital state habeas appointments:
- Brochure from the California Supreme Court (CSC) about appointments in capital cases
- CSC Website - Death Penalty Cases
- CSC Qualification Criteria for Appointment to Capital Cases
- CSC Application for Appointment to Capital Appeal and/or Habeas Corpus/Executive Clemency Proceedings. Apply directly to the CSC by using the PDF Form or by using the online application.
- CSC Policies Regarding Cases Arising from Judgments of Death, Including Payment Guidelines
- CSC News Release: Supreme Court Revises Procedures in Death Penalty Appeals
- CSC Appendix of Appointed Counsel's Duties
- CSC Memorandum Regarding Its Fee and Expense Application Process
- Materials Regarding CSC Compensation for Post-Conviction Discovery: